Thursday, March 29, 2007

Jeff's AL Predictions

AL East
1. Yankees
2. Red Sox
3. Blue Jays
4. Devil Rays (yeah, I know)
5. Orioles
The Red Sox finished in 3rd last year and added J.D. Drew...I can't pick them to win the division.

AL Central
1. Tigers
2. Twins
3. Indians
4. White Sox
5. Royals
Wow, what a deep divsion. My 4th place team could win and it wouldn't be much of an upset. However, I don't buy the Indians like Buster Olney...I'm just hoping they are good enough to make my wild card pick right.

AL West
1. A's
2. Angels
3. Mariners
4. Rangers
Texas, by the way, has a quite impressive cast of former Phillies - Kevin Millwood, Vicente Padilla, Bruce Chen, and Robinson Tejeda in the rotation, with Marlon Byrd and Kenny Lofton in the outfield. Which is probably why I think they'll be bad.

Wild Card - Red Sox. And I feel terrible about that pick, because I'll look like an ass when the Indians and Twins make the playoffs.

League champ is the Tigers. The pitching is just too good, and they added Sheffield for some extra swagger. I saw Steve Phillips and Tim Kurkjian discussing the AL pitching on SportsCenter this morning, going through best fastball, curve, change, etc. Nearly every category had a Tigers pitcher mentioned. Jim Leyland has to have another year of magic in him, right?

Plus, I love Placido Polanco. Senior circuit tomorrow.

2 comments:

Skeeter said...

I as well love Polanco.

I'm hoping the Blue Jays can challenge either the Yanks or Sox for a spot in the playoffs. I see that happening only if major injuries happen to both teams.

I personally think the Indians are strong enough for a wild card or possibly a division. The central will be the hardest division in all of baseball to predict. Every team except the Royals have a legitimate shot at the division.

Jeff said...

Yeah, the Indians will be good, but I don't trust their pitching like Detroit's or Minnesota's. Jayson Stark has an article about the fluke of the 2006 Indians, but I don't think they can improve by 10 wins in that division, no matter how their run differential looked. 3rd place in the AL Central is still good for 86-ish wins, but I don't see them getting over that, and I don't see that as enough.